After understanding the competitors and their features, I conducted some user interviews and empathized with them. I interviewed four participants who have previously gone on road trips and currently use Google Maps as their primary navigation tool.
- The most memorable part of the road trip is the unexpected stops and occurrences experienced along the journey.
- Word of mouth and Google searches are two of the most common ways people discover new places to visit
- Users find the act of adding a stop to their route frustrating because they cannot safely do it while they are driving.
- People only want to drive to attractions that are close in proximity to their routes.
- Most people prefer to plan out where they want to stop while they are driving.
- People want to see national parks, state parks, scenic overlooks, historical sites, local restaurants, hotels, and natural wonders on road trips.
- Everyone thought a scenic route feature would be a great addition to the Google Maps app.